Friday, May 28, 2010

Cover Crops

I’ve been trying my hand at Cover Crops this year, after each summer and winter harvest was over, to keep weeds down and enrich the soil.


Last Year’s Cover Crop
Last Fall (more like November by the time I got around to it) I planted Austrian Peas in the Summer half of the front garden as well as all over the back garden. The back garden Austrian peas came up sparsely and were not very vigorous (no pictures), but I didn’t plant them as thickly as the front garden, and the soil isn’t as good back there.


Austrian Peas
These were recommended to me by Farmer K and Farmer C, especially since they are tasty to eat as plants from late Fall through early Spring. I had never planted seed not in a row, but quickly figured out a reasonable method to uncover a square foot at a time, spread seeds, then cover the square foot back up. This probably made for very thick planting, but the seeds are cheap and it was easy enough to plant.

November 2009, Austrian Peas

Early May 2010, Austrian Peas

By the way, the farmers were right, these were very tasty. Like a grassy pea, but very fresh tasting, getting less tasty after the New Year. Great crop to grow, and fairly easy to remove a few weeks ago (early May). I left them in as long as possible until I was ready to plant, they were waist high by that point! Pulling them up went fairly well, a good grasp go much of the root structure, but I tried to leave the rhizomes in for extra nitrogen. These peas had huge rhizomes and were fun to look at (pictures next year).


Wheat!
I planted some in a smallish strip last fall as a cover crop for an area that had sod clumps in it still... just call me “The Little Red Hen”


November 2009, Wheat

Late May 2009, Wheat
Looks like it’s getting ready to harvest, it has to dry out a little more, then on with the threshing and winnowing! Good thing I already have a grain mill from Eric as a holiday present last year (see So Cheesy and Cracker-y).


This year’s cover crop (Summer 2010)

For a summer cover crop for the half of the front garden that gets more sunlight, I chose a mixture of wheat, rye, and austrian peas. I planted thickly in late April, and didn’t have enough seed for the whole area, so I got some buckwheat seeds for the rest, but they haven’t come up yet (as of May 28th 2010).

I’m planning to pull out this cover crop in August, in time to plant the winter garden, just enough time to have them keep out the weeds and add bulk for composting.


Early May cover crop (Wheat, Rye, Peas)

Late May cover crop (Wheat, Rye, Peas)


No comments:

Post a Comment